
US Olympian Hunter Hess said Friday he had found extra motivation after President Donald Trump called him a “real loser” for saying he had mixed feelings about representing America in the current political climate.
The freestyle skier was asked earlier at the Milan-Cortina Games how he felt about competing for the USA, given acute tensions over violent immigration raids and other issues.
“Just because I’m wearing the flag doesn’t mean I represent everything that’s going on in the US,” Hess said at the press conference in Italy.
Trump blasted Hess on his Truth Social platform, saying: “Hunter Hess, a real Loser, says he doesn’t represent his Country in the current Winter Olympics.”
The American, who qualified for the men’s freeski halfpipe final in fifth place on Friday, made an “L” sign on his forehead as he completed his first run at Livigno Snow Park.
When asked why he had made the gesture, the 27-year-old said: “Apparently I’m a loser”.
Hess, competing at his first Olympics, said he was embracing the label and that the furore had boosted his motivation.
“I worked so hard to be here. I sacrificed my entire life to make this moment happen,” he said after completing his second qualifying run.
“I’m not going to let controversy like that get in my way. I love the United States of America. I cannot say that enough.”
– Distraction –
But Hess admitted the media storm had been distracting as he prepared for his event in the Italian Alps.
“I had a week that was pretty challenging,” he said. “Luckily my family was there to support me to get through it.
“There was a lot of noise and I’ve never been subject to that type of criticism. But with my family’s help I was able to get through it.
“Skiing has saved my life time and time again. And it seems to have done so again.”
Hess emphasised that he stood by his previous remarks.
“I love the United States of America,” he said. “I cannot reiterate that enough. My entire family, they all live there. It means the absolute world to me to be able to represent Team USA here.”
The athlete said he had received a lot of “hate” but also a lot of support.
US snowboarder Chloe Kim called for “love and compassion” in response to Trump’s attack on Hess and China’s US-born freeski superstar Eileen Gu said the Hess-Trump spat had made her “so sad”.
Hess said he had had support from Team GB skier Gus Kenworthy, who posted a graphic message using an expletive about the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, known as ICE, earlier this month.
British-born Kenworthy grew up in the United States but switched his allegiance to Great Britain in 2019.
“We just chatted about it, kind of how we got through the hardship,” said Hess, who will face Kenworthy in the halfpipe final later on Friday.
“He gave me some pointers, which was really nice and just kind of helped me have a little bit of a venue or an avenue to get out of the pain and kind of focus on the good.”
Canada’s Brendan Mackay topped qualifying with a score of 92.75, ahead of US freeskier Nick Goepper (90.00).
The qualifying session was marred by a heavy fall for New Zealand teenager Finley Melville Ives, who was taken off the course on a sled after receiving medical attention for more than five minutes.
jw/pi
FOX41 Yakima©FOX11 TriCities©


